Kusama, The Scalable Multichain Network for Radical Innovation
What Is Kusama?
- Kusama is a scalable network of specialized blockchains built using Substrate and nearly the same code base as Polkadot.
- The network is an experimental development environment for teams who want to move fast and innovate on Kusama or prepare for deployment on Polkadot.
- Kusama was founded in 2019 by Gavin Wood, founder of Polkadot and co-founder and former CTO of Ethereum.
- Kusama is Polkadot’s canary Network. The name canary comes from the idea of canaries that were used in coal mines to give warning to miners by detecting carbon monoxide and other toxic gases that could hurt them.
- Kusama acts as a canary by warning and helping detect any kind of vulnerabilities or weaknesses in the polkadot code base.
- Kusama is a living platform built for change agents to take back control, spark innovation and disrupt the status quo.
- Kusama is an early unaudited release of the code that is available first and holds real economic value.
- Kusama is a dry run to test and ensure the economic security of Polkadot mainnet in a realistic, non contrived manner.
- Kusama is 100% independent from Polkadot network, it will not evolve into mainnet.
- For developers, Kusama is a proving ground for runtime upgrades, on-chain governance and parachains.
- Long term, a Polkadot “litecoin” testbed for new and risky protocols and runtime ideas.
- Kusama does not contain any central kill switch.
- A bridge from Kusama to Polkadot mainnet is planned.
- This community-led network will run in parallel to Polkadot.
- As a KSM holder, you are able to interact with all the features of the Kusama network such as staking (i.e. validating or nominating), governance, parachain auctions, basic transfers and everything else.
- Kusama has it’s own genesis file, network ID and SS58 version code.
- 1% of real DOT tokens (100,000) have been reserved to incentivize Kusama participation and ownership.
- Many teams will choose Kusama for their dApp or parachain and remain exclusively on Kusama. Other teams will join Kusama as a temporary preparation ground for deployment on Polkadot.
What Can You Do On Kusama?
1, Grow your KSM by participating in Kusama’s nominated Proof-of-Stake
- Validate and nominate validators.
2, Try Out On Chain Governance
- Propose/vote on referenda.
- Become a council member.
3, Experiment with Parachains
- Connect a parachain ( Cumulus TBA).
- Inter-change messaging will become available.
- Parachain auction and crowdfunding.
Want To Launch Your Own Blockchain?
- Move fast and ship your product. Kusama’s risk-taking and nimble mentality allows developers to move swiftly through the governance and upgrade process enabling rapid progress and growth.
Low Economic Barriers
- Launch your custom blockchain (parachain) project with low barriers to entry.
- Ideal for lean startups looking to move fast and iterate.
- Build on a next-generation, sharded, multichain network while employing the newest features before they are deployed on Polkadot.
- Kusama is owned and governed by a community of network participants who vote on and control the evolution of the network.
- Have a voice and make your mark in the evolution of the network.
- Leverage Polkadot’s global brand and developer community for your parachain, parathread or dApp.
- For teams looking to move to Polkadot after fine-tuning on Kusama, begin building your community and brand on Kusama before deployment.
Bring The Following To Your Network
- Kusama is built by the same teams as Polkadot using nearly the same code and tools.
- The network places the latest tech from Parity Technologies and Web3 Foundation in the hands of developers, even before those features make it to Polkadot.
- Kusama’s sharded blockchains and open governance provide a scalable and future-proof infrastructure for businesses, marketplaces and applications to deploy and mature.
- Kusama brings multiple blockchains together into one sharded network, freeing developers from the siloes created by legacy blockchain networks.
- With Substrate, developers can build their own app-specific blockchain and connect it to Kusama.
Parachains & Applications
- Gaming and eSports
- Social Networking
Why Build A Parachain?
- Parachains are individual chains containing their own runtime logic that benefit from the shared security and the cross-chain messaging provided by the Polkadot Relay Chain.
- Parachains permit a high degree of flexibility and customization but will require more effort to create and maintain.
- If there is a need to have a large amount of control over the design and features of your application a parachain is a better choice.
- Keep in mind, smart contracts can be used as a testing ground before later being turned into full-fledged parachains. Smart contract platforms will usually have more convenient tooling like IDEs to facilitate quick iterations.
- A smart contract MVP could be created to gauge user interest before putting in the work to build out a parachain.
- Parachains grant the creators more space to build the monetary system and other aspects of the chain from the ground up.
- They will allow for more succinct and efficient execution of complex logic than could ever be offered by a smart contract platform.
- Parachains also offer more flexibility in the form of governance and can perform complete upgrades in a less controversial way than the current process of hard-forks.
- Parachains open possibilities to construct complex runtime logic that would be too expensive to execute with smart contracts.
Some Examples Of Features You Can Have On A Parachain Or Parathread:
- Custom fee structure (for example, pay a flat fee for transactions or pay per byte).
- Custom monetary policy for the native token and local economy.
- Treasury to be funded through transitions in your state function.
- A governance mechanism that could manage a DAO that is responsible for allocating your on-chain treasury.
KSM Token Utilization
- Validate the network
- Nominate validators
- Bond parachains or parathreads
- Vote on governance referenda
Built With Substrate
Join The Kusama Ecosystem
Governance Polkadot token holders have complete control over the protocol. All privileges, which on other platforms are…
Justin Moses CTO We really did our due diligence and looked around and we said well Chainlink is definitely the most…
Polkadot Smart Contract Platform | Moonbeam
Moonbeam is a new Polkadot smart contract platform that makes it easy to build natively interoperable blockchain…
Phala Network - privacy preserving data protocol
Phala.Network guarantees the reliable execution of smart contracts while keeping the data secretly. Confidential…
Edgeware will be launched via a lockdrop, a modified airdrop where participants timelock ETH to receive EDG. The…
Kusama · Polkadot Wiki
Kusama is a "canary network" for Polkadot, an early unaudited release of the code that is available first and holds…